Annual Membership Drive
Dear Friends of the Discovery Center,
It’s time for the North Lakeland Discovery Center’s 2016 Membership Appeal.
The North Lakeland Discovery Center is a 501(C)(3) non-profit organization that exists to promote conservation of natural resources through education and stewardship. We care for the 63-acre campus, over 12 miles of trails, and provide environmental education programming for all ages. This important work is supported by the financial generosity of individuals, businesses and foundations. It is because of this support that we can carry out the mission.
The North Lakeland Discovery Center is your place to create connections to nature, friends, family and the community. This year we celebrate 20 years of Discovery by renewing our pledge to foster outdoor education, watershed stewardship, self-guided exploration and life enriching experiences for generations to come.
Your Experiences at the Discovery Center
- You observed swans while skiing along the River Trail, learned how to kayak on the tranquil Statehouse Lake, or hiked through the deep pine forest.
- Your children or grandchildren mentioned how much fun they had during a visit to the bog.
- You learned something new while attending one of our Nibbles N’ Knowledge or Traveling Nat-uralist series.
- You completed an invigorating triathlon, snowshoe race or mud-run with your friends.
Experiences like this are not to be taken for granted; it takes a dedicated group of staff, volunteers and supporting members to facilitate and nurture these connections.
Your Generosity Helps:
This year we hope to reach a goal of $220,000 in donations from our 800+ members. Every dollar amount counts and makes a difference. Provide meaningful connections to nature for you and others by making an annual commitment through your Discovery Center membership.
Your generous gift helps to:
- Ensure the delivery of quality activities, events and nature programming for over 5,000 children and adults each year.
- Provide a year-round Northwoods recreation paradise with over 12 miles of well-maintained trails for skiing, hiking, snowshoeing and biking.
- Offer a peaceful sanctuary for neighbors and visitors, where you can renew your spirit and explore the Northwoods on our campus, lakefront and gardens.
- Enable citizen science monitoring and surveys to document and preserve the Manitowish Waters watershed and protect sensitive species.
- Rekindle the sense of wonder of all ages through Environmental Education programs.
Your Support Is Needed More Than Ever!
You are helping protect and maintain the Discovery Center trails and programs, so educational opportunitys within this jewel of the Northwoods will continue for generations to come.
Make your gift last all year long! Consider a monthly or quarterly gift to the North Lakeland Discovery Center. Your recurring gift can be paid by personal check or can be automatically linked to your credit card. Just tell us how much and how often you’d like to donate. You may either contact us at 715-543-2085, or email us at firstname.lastname@example.org for assistance.
Extensive Groomed Trail Systems
- Interpretive trail and bog boardwalks
- Ski/Hike/Bike/Snowshoe Trails
- Powell Marsh Ski Trail
Guided Hikes and Field Trips
- Wolf tracking, birding excursions
- Snowshoe, ice cave, waterfall hikes
- Canoe trips and pontoon tours
- Environmental education programs
- Eco-Discoverers (Ages 4-7)
- Eco-Explorers (Ages 8-10)
- Eco-Adventurers (Ages 11-14)
Northwoods Wildlife Research
- Local and regional bird surveys
- Crane Counts
- Bird Banding
- Wolf Howls
- Bat Monitoring
- Birding Festival
- Just Tri It! Triathlon
- Family Play Days
- Lake level monitoring
- Lichen population study
- Community Social Gatherings